Wednesday 14 December 2016

BUILD AN HD ANTENNA

You can build an inexpensive HD antenna for about $10 that will outperform amplified store bought antennas.  This effective design is not pretty, but you’ll quickly forget that when you realize the high quality reception you get easily surpasses your expensive cable feed.

Yes, this is another cut-the-cable goodie !
Homemade HD antenna

Almost anyone can build this antenna, it took me about 2 hours including time to gather the materials.  The results are truly astounding.

This really wasn’t a cost savings project for me, I just wanted the flexibility to see local channels over the air in HD.
HD antennas are directional, you’ll  need to perform an internet search for the location of your local HD broadcast stations.
I found the broadcast stations in my area, planted this antenna in my attic and hooked it to an extra coax feed.

Having coax running to all the rooms in your house, to the attic and basement is extremely handy.

I connect an A/B switch to my cable feed and my HD antenna feed to control the source signal sent to any number of TV’s in the house, from one spot in my basement.
I’m certain there’s an electronic way to tie this into a Smart Hub, but I really don’t care about that right now.

Building an HD antenna

There are dozens of plans on the internet, the configuration you see above was designed many years ago and is very effective.

As you can tell, the main components here are coat hangers, wood boards, wood screws and the hard part (SMIRK!), a 75 to 300 ohm matching transformer (spade clips to female F connector).

Really, this is easy folks.  That connector is common and cheap.  I had one laying around.
If you’re interesting in this project, please research a bit on your own and decide for yourself if this is the correct model for you.

There are many options here, this is where I landed several years back. Please look around makezine’s website.  I have no affliation with them, other than several years of a working antenna based on their design!

There are many options and fun things to learn.  Look around, this is facinating, here are some links…

Additional information on digital television.

Antenna basics.

Have a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment